Rowing Signature Class adds 14 people for next fall
ANN ARBOUR, Mich. — The University of Michigan rowing team announced Thursday (May 19) the signing of 14 student-athletes to national letters of intent.
The signing class for the Wolverines includes Reganne Ackmann, Bloomquist ally, Lauren Carlson, Kaia Denhof, Rachel Gordon, Lilian Gregoire, Grace Hammis, Emma Kerkau, Molly Maloney, Ashley Mitchell, Logan Roeder, Thea Schley, Jillian Tunnicliffand Trinity Tupper. The 14 student-athletes will join UM in the fall of 2022 as freshmen and join the four UM signatories announced in December.
“This group of student-athletes is one that we are very happy to have in our program,” said the head coach. Mark Rothstein. “Our staff have worked hard together to ensure that we have assembled a class that will match who we are all at Michigan Rowing. As a group, the Class of 2022 has proven to be dedicated in class and demonstrated athletic and work ethic necessary to contribute as productive members of the team and community.
“The 14 student-athletes we’re announcing today join a solid foundation for this class to form a class that we believe has great potential to contribute to the pursuit of future Big Ten and NCAA championships. Our coaching staff has done a great job securing commitments from championship caliber rowers and folks. We look forward to welcoming them to campus in the fall and starting to work together on the water. For now, we are excited to officially call them Wolverines.
• Attends Concordia Lutheran High School in Fort Wayne, Ind.
• Honor Roll Student, Member of the National Honor Society and National Honor Thespian
• Team captain with G2 Rowing Association; four-year competitor
• Won first place at Leelanau Chase (4x) and Coastal Beach Sprints at Leelanau (2x)
• Recorded second-place finishes at Eagle’s Head (4x) and Cuyahoga’s Head (4x)
• Winner of a varsity letter in rowing, academics, theater and choir
• Winner of the title of State Champion in Vocal Jazz Ensemble
• Also medalist four times in the national Latin exam (two gold, two silver) from 2017 to 2020
• Daughter of Tom and Jennifer Ackmann
• Attends Romeo High School in Washington, Michigan.
• Honor Roll student, member of the National Honor Society and member of the NTHS
• All-State Academic Honoree as a senior (2022)
• Macomb Area Conference All-Academic Honoree in two sports (basketball, 2020-21; football, 2021)
• Four-time Romeo scholarship athlete (twice in each sport
• Recipient of Outstanding Senior Student-Athlete Award, Basketball Coaches Association of Michigan (BCAM)
• Helped lead the Bulldogs to the 2021 District Division 1 title in soccer
• Daughter of Eric and Melissa Blomquist
• Attends Duluth East High School in Duluth, Minn.
• Honor roll student, also a member of the National Honor Society
• Scholar-athlete for four years and named team captain in two sports
• Duluth East Female Athlete of the Year (2022); voted “Most likely to turn pro”
• Won four varsity letters in alpine skiing and soccer as well as letters in softball and lacrosse
• Participated in the 2022 Alpine Skiing National Championships in Colorado
• State senior ski champion (2022); finished among the top 10 female alpine skiers in her region and competitor of the year for her club
• Named to the 2020 All-Area Team in Soccer
• Daughter of Chris and Amy Carlson
• Attends West Ottawa High School in Holland, Michigan.
• valedictorian in Ottawa; member of the National Honor Society
• All-State academic competitor in cross country (2020) and track and field (2021)
• Team captain for two years in cross-country (2020-21) and athletics (2021-22)
• All-State Finisher on the Track (2021)
• Won three all-conference finals in both sports (two in cross-country; 2020-21)
• Daughter of Dave and Lauri Denhof
• Attends Freeman High School in Richmond, Virginia.
• Four-year honor roll student; member of the National Honor Society
• Attended the James River Leadership Academy (2020-21)
• Leader for SPARC Live Art, a performing arts program for children with disabilities
• Currently competing with Beaver Creek Sculling in Charlottesville, Va.
• Member of the Ready, Set, Row Elite development team (2021)
• Won the 1x race at the 2022 North Carolina Rowing Championships
• Also graduated in lacrosse (three years), helping her team win the Virginia State title in 2021
• Daughter of Matt and Kaarin Gordon
• Attends Northville High School in Northville, Michigan.
• Member of the Northville IB Diploma Program
• Head of music section for three years
• Currently competes with Northville Rowing Club and Washtenaw Rowing Center as coxswain
• Senior captain of the Northville Rowing Club and CORE member for two years
• Scholastic Rowing Association of Michigan (SRAM) State Champions (2021)
• Helmed his boats to win the 2021 SRAM Finals in the 2021 Men’s 4+ Freshman and the 2021 Michigan Club Invitational (MCI) Women’s 4+ Open
• Also helped pick up victories at the 2021 Midwest Sprints Women’s 4+ Open and 2022 Huron River Sprints in Women’s 8+
• In swimming, was Marline of the Year (2019) competing with NHGC
• Also proven in hockey, where she helped the Mustangs reach the state semi-finals as a senior
• Daughter of Curtis and Jackie Gregory
• Attends Heritage High School in Saginaw, Michigan.
• DECA State Finalist as a Senior
• A member of the Principal’s Honor Roll and the National Honors Society
• Member of the class council and of the multicultural club; also a senator in the student assembly
• A soccer player who participated in the US Soccer Girls Academy League with the National Soccer Club
• Daughter of Jeffrey and Traci Hammis
• Attends Frankenmuth High School in Frankenmuth, Michigan.
• Student Council Vice President, Member of the National Honor Society, Yearbook Editor
• Team captain in his three university sports; two-year captain in two sports
• Academic All-State honoree in two sports
• Earned 12 varsity letters for the Eagles; four each in volleyball, basketball and football
• All-State and Dream Team winner in basketball
• Also named All-Conference and recognized by the Basketball Coaches’ Association of Michigan
• Helped his team win regional title, including district and conference championships
• In volleyball, earned Dream Team recognition as well as honors from all regions and conferences
• Earned all region, district and conference honors on the football field
• Daughter of Kirk and Melissa Kerkau
• Attends Northville High School in Northville, Michigan.
• Diploma summa cum laude; as part of Northville’s International Baccalaureate Diploma Program (IBDP)
• Won Honors Scholar Athlete and Presidential Academic Excellence awards in all four years
• Part of the United States Olympic Soccer Development Program
• Currently rowing with Northville Rowing Club
• Part of a boat ranked first at Martindale Sprints (1V)
• Also registered in ski racing; Kensington Lakes Athletic Association (KLAA) first and second places
• Daughter of Shannon and Dave Maloney
• Attends Dexter High School in Dexter, Michigan.
• Four-year varsity athlete
• Member of the student council and member of the National Honor Society
• Team captain in two sports as a senior (cross-country, athletics)
• Obtained three university letters in cross-country and track and field; also in basketball letters
• Team MVP in Athletics (2021)
• Danced competitively for 13 years with Dancer’s Edge
• Daughter of Todd and Kristen Mitchell
• Attends Lane Technical High School in Chicago, Illinois.
• An Illinois State Scholar and a Lane Scholar
• Student on the honor roll; Member of the National Honor Society
• Currently competes as coxswain with the Chicago Rowing Foundation
• In 2021, placed second in two regional championship regattas in 2V8+
• A participant in the 2V8+ Final C at the 2021 Youth National Championships
• Part of the winning 1V8+ boat at Head of the Hooch 2021
• Daughter of Emily and Ron Roeder
• Attends Canton High School in Canton, Michigan.
• Honor roll student, student council member; member of Warriors for a Healthy Mind
• Earned nine varsity letters in track and field (four), cross country (four), and basketball
• Team captain in XC; four-time team MVP
• State qualification four times
• Ran Canton No. 2 all-time at 5,000 meters (5K); part of a record 4×1600 meter school relay
• Won all-conference and all-region honors in the 800-meter and 4 x 800-meter relay events
• Daughter of Michael and Kristin Schley
• Attends St. Joseph High School in St. Joseph. Michigan
• Honor roll student and SOS club manager (Saturday service)
• Team captain in two sports
• Winner of a four-year letter in cross-country and track and field; also in basketball letters
• Qualified for States in Cross Country and Track & Field
• Daughter of Max and Jamie Tunnicliff
• Attends Eaton Rapids High School in Eaton Rapids, Michigan.
• CAAC Scholar Athlete, Gold Scholar, Member of the National Honor Society
• Enrollment in track and field, basketball and football at Eaton Rapids
• Four-time All-Conference and two-time All-District Honoree in soccer
• Daughter of Sandy and Tony Tupper