Marketing and communication manager – Job
the Institute of Modern Art looking for a creative and passionate person In charge of marketing and communication to connect global audiences to our extensive artistic program. As one of Australia’s leading contemporary art organizations, our vision is to amplify voices, spark curiosity and inspire change through contemporary art. As Director of Marketing and Communications, you will oversee all of IMA’s marketing, communications and publicity activities, ensuring that our distinctive identity reflects this vision and the voices of the many artists we work with.
ABOUT THE ROLE
Job title: In charge of marketing and communication
AND P : Full-time, 37.5 hours per week (flexible working hours and FTEs can be negotiated)
Salary: $57,000 – $65,000 (depending on experience) + superannuation
The purpose of the The Director of Marketing and Communications must position the IMA as a national leader in contemporary art and engage local, national and international audiences through marketing and communications platforms. Work closely with the artists and curators of the program; the executive director; Deputy Director, Programs and Operations; deputy director, development and operations; Head of Education and Head of Public Programs, this role is responsible for the development and implementation of IMA’s marketing and communications activities: including advertising; digital and print campaigns; public engagement activities and project campaigns.
Standard working hours are Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm, but due to the nature of this role, the employee will be required to work flexible hours, including outside of normal business hours.
Marketing and communication
- Develop and lead the marketing and communications strategy for IMA, including identifying and communicating with stakeholders and understanding segmented audiences for programs, events and development opportunities
- Develop and implement innovative, data-driven audience development strategies and initiatives that aim to reach new and diverse audiences and build an optimal audiencebasic experience
- Audience Research and Visitor Analytics Report
- Translate audience insights into marketing strategies/activations
- Work with Deputy Director, Programs and Operations, Head of Education, and Head of Public Programs to develop and implement IMA’s audience development strategy
- Lead the development and implementation of all marketing campaigns and contribute to IMA audience engagement goals
- Ensure that the IMA meets its marketing obligations to all partners, sponsors, government, artists and curators in accordance with contracts, and follows reporting measures
- Design an annual marketing plan for approval by the Executive Director
- Build and protect the IMA brand and ensure continuity, an optimal image and positioning
- Execute all marketing activities including campaign, print material publications, in-house graphic design, advertising, website, direct marketing and digital marketing
- With the Executive Director and Publicist, ensure that the IMA program and brand is optimized and promoted in the media
- Produce and verify compelling copy for IMA outputs, including website, e-newsletters and social media
- Develop and manage media partnerships, as well as relationships with external stakeholders
- Work with IMA contractors, including graphic designers and publicists
- Design internal documents such as fundraising materials, annual report and artistic program
- Plan and monitor budget income and expenditures, reconciling them with month-end finances and related activities so that management accounts can be completed promptly
- Produce monthly marketing reports
- Work with the Associate Director, Development and Operations on coordinated fundraising communications approaches
- Undertake other tasks as needed
ABOUT THE IMA
Since 1975, the Institute of Modern Art has been the hub of Brisbane’s contemporary art scene, presenting an annual program of exhibitions, public programmes, publications and off-site programs by Queensland, Australian and international artists. As one of Australia’s leading independent contemporary art spaces, our 2022-2025 vision is to become a truly inclusive, sustainable and forward-looking organization. Through our arts programs, which include exhibitions, publications, offsite projects and public programs, we invest in local, shape the nationaland impact the international.
We are looking for a dynamic and creative marketer, ready to take the next step in their career. Your passion for contemporary art, coupled with your experience and marketing expertise will position IMA and the many artists we work with as a leading voice in contemporary art.
You will be highly organized and detail-oriented, while having the ability to think strategically about the big picture: our voice, our audience and our artists. A bold and creative problem solver, you’ll write compelling copy and deliver eye-catching marketing campaigns across social media, our website, print and electronic media. You will also work closely with our programming team to find new ways to connect audiences to our arts program, which includes exhibitions, education, publications, public programs and digital releases.
Collaborative, professional and level-headed, you will enjoy working in a small team and a busy environment, while being able to balance competing priorities and multiple projects. Your ability to lead with initiative and self-confidence will set you apart, as will your ability to think creatively on a small budget.
SELECTION CRITERIA (Essential)
- Previous experience in a similar role in marketing and communications, preferably in the small and medium business sector and/or in a visual arts organization
- Demonstrated experience delivering marketing assets on the following platforms: Instagram, Facebook, Mailchimp, WordPress, print media
- Basic graphic design skills and experience with Photoshop and Indesign
- A passion and interest in contemporary visual arts
- Highly developed written communication skills, with exceptional attention to detail
- Excellent time management skills, including the ability to prioritize tasks and plan ahead
- Ability to build strong and collaborative working relationships both internally and externally
- Excellent interpersonal, relationship management and communication skills
- Ability to work independently and within a small team
SELECTION CRITERIA (Desirable)
- Experience with Premiere Pro
- Budget management experience
- Advanced degree in marketing, communications, media or business-related degree
For more details, visit the IMA website
- If you have any further questions about the role, please contact Liz Nowell, Executive Director, on (07) 3252 5750 or r[email protected]
- Applications should consist of a one-page cover letter, a two-page response (maximum) to the selection criteria, a CV and the names and contact details of three professional referees sent by email as a Word or PDF document unique with your name and position. title as the document name.
- Applications should be sent to Liz Nowell, Executive Director, at [email protected] by Sunday May 15, 2022. A pre-selection will take place quickly and interviews will take place on Wednesday 18 and Thursday 19 May. If you are not available on these dates, please indicate your other availability in your cover letter.
IMA values diversity in the workplace. Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, people with disabilities, LGBTIQA+ people and candidates from diverse cultures and languages are strongly encouraged to apply for this position.