Paid, Owned, and Owned Media: A Quick Introduction for Brands
With good marketing, you can reach the widest audience, attract customers, and retain them for as long as possible.
To do this, however, you need to use the right marketing channels and media.
There are at least three main marketing materials you can use: paid, possesses, and media won. Each of them is different in terms of characteristics and purposes.
You can select the most effective option or a combination of them for your business, but you need to acquire adequate knowledge about each of them.
So what are paid, owned and acquired media, and what are their individual advantages? How to get the most out of it?
Let’s answer these questions quickly.
1. Paid media
Paid media is perhaps the most common of all types of marketing. It’s content that you pay to place it in front of an audience as an advertisement or sponsorship. It involves using a paid platform to reach a target audience.
Any traditional marketing you can think of – TV, print, radio, and billboard ads – is paid marketing. The digital arena includes social media platforms, search engine results pages (SERPs), and display ads.
Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and LinkedIn are platforms with a large audience where you can place paid content.
Other platforms where you can place paid media, and where it’s incredibly effective to serve pay-per-click (PPC) ads are on search engines like Google. Every time someone searches for something on Google, the ads that appear at the top get paid.
Benefits of paid media
Paid media is a traditional type of advertising that has many advantages. It’s easy to follow, delivers results quickly, and gives you full control over the process.
Since people will always be using social media and search engines like Google, your paid marketing content will quickly be noticed by a large number of people. It will also have a high click-through rate.
The importance of paid media on social media also cannot be understated, given that there are around 4.48 billion active social media users today. Getting your marketing content in front of such a large audience can be very important.
Tips for taking advantage of paid media
- Try to advertise your product on webpages / platforms that don’t have a lot of cluttered ads all over the place.
- The message contained in your paid media content should be simple for the user to understand, easily and quickly.
- Use eye-catching images, eye-catching captions, and unique titles to immediately grab viewers’ attention.
2. Media held
Owned media is any content or website over which you have full control. This means that you will have to invest in its creation upfront.
It could be a website, blog, YouTube channel, Facebook page, mailing lists, newsletters, and even social media posts.
Some companies prefer proprietary media because it offers better control, greater content flexibility, and greater longevity.
However, creating proprietary media takes time, both to develop the content and to present it to your audience. But it has the potential to bring results for a longer period.
Benefits of detained media
The main advantage of proprietary media is that it gives you full control. You can decide the type of content, the frequency of updates and the process of user interaction.
The results in owned media are easy to follow, while the content exists for as long as you want.
It is also more profitable than paid media. The money required to publish a video, blog, article or article is less than that of running an online campaign.
Tips for taking advantage of detained media
- Make sure all links in your content, whether on pages or on social media, point to your brand’s website.
- Make your content enjoyable for users without looking desperate to sell your product / service.
- Maintain regular and rapid contact with your customers by consistently posting your own media.
3. Media won
Media gained is exposure gained without any paid marketing. Examples are branding mentions through a favorable social media article, newspaper article, or blog post about your business, product, programs, or projects.
Earned Media is a favorite because it is unpaid exposure – invaluable publicity. It educates the media through content that has been willingly shared or created by others for free.
That said, you can grab people’s attention and gain media by using specific online strategies, such as creating unique, high-value content or offering robust services.
Even though won media have their advantages, getting them can take some time. Unpaid advertising can also be difficult to follow.
Benefits of acquired media
One of the main advantages of acquired media is its high credibility. People are more likely to believe independent, unpaid reviews from a business.
Earned media is also cheaper (actually free) compared to paid and owned media because there are no advertising costs involved. The better your content, the more likely it is to get noticed.
Another big advantage is a wider reach. As your product is advertised on new platforms and media channels that you might not even be on, it is seen by a new, larger audience. They could very well be your new loyal customers.
Tips for taking advantage of acquired media
- No one will share your content unless you offer something great and great.
- Even if there are negative comments, respond to them in a professional and honest manner. It can turn negative feedback into positive media.
- Create and maintain relationships with online tools, especially social media networks, online forums and community groups.
- Use all your distribution channels. Share your content on as many media channels as possible.
- Show that you are an expert in a particular field. You can do this by regularly posting high quality blog posts, press releases, and other content related to your niche or area of ââspecialty.
The three types of marketing channels, paid, owned and acquired media, have their place in the lead generation process. Each type of media has its advantages for your business.
Try to use them in your marketing strategy, deciding which one is likely to benefit you the most and focusing on that one.